Lifeguard Prep Course
We will have a FREE prep course to help you get ready to pass the prerequisites for an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course!
The course will be every Friday from February 8th - March 8th and again from April 5th- May 3rd 2019
All sessions will go from 4pm to 5pm and will be taught by certified instructors.
Please note: This course is open to all Texas State students, faculty, staff and their dependents, no matter where you plan on lifeguarding one day!
Below is a detailed video and written description of the prerequisites for a lifeguarding course. These are the skills you'll need to have before you can complete a Lifeguard Training and we are here to help!
Lifeguard Prerequisites for an American Red Cross Course
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.