Lifeguard Instructor Training
To be eligible for the instructor course, instructor candidates must:
· Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course.
· Possess one of the following:
o A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (Shallow Water Lifeguarding does not qualify).
o A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
o An equivalent certificate from another organization (email email@example.com to see if yours qualifies)
· Successfully complete the Online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course, which consists of the following:
o Orientation to the American Red Cross
o Orientation to the Lifeguarding Instructor Course and Precourse Exam
To pass the course and become a certified Lifeguard Instructor, candidates must:
· Arrive to the course with proof that they completed the Online Session (mentioned above; directions on how to complete the Online Session will be sent to candidates after signing up for the course.).
· Successful completion of the Precourse Session. Precourse Session includes:
o Prerequisite Swimming Skills Evaluation: This test is the same as the prerequisite swimming skills evaluation done in a basic lifeguarding class. For more details and a video that shows you exactly what you have to do click here.
o Prerequisite Rescue Skill Scenarios Evaluation (each candidate completes four rescue scenarios).
· Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
· Successfully complete class activities, including the four practice-teaching assignments.
· Score a minimum of 80 percent (32 correct answers out of 40 questions) on the Bloodborne Pathogens Training Instructor Self-Study Test.
Score a minimum of 80 percent (12 correct answers out of 15 questions) on the basic-level Administering Emergency Oxygen final written exam.
· Score a minimum of 80 percent (20 correct answers out of 25 questions) on the instructor course final written exam.
Upon successful completion of the instructor course, each instructor candidate will be able to print out a completion certificate for the Lifeguarding Instructor course from the American Red Cross Learning Center indicating the Lifeguarding Instructor course.
· Instructor candidates must also demonstrate throughout the course that they are mature and responsible. Instructor trainers assess maturity and responsibility by observing behaviors. These behaviors include but are not limited to:
o Arriving at class on time and being prepared.
o Returning from breaks on time.
o Being prepared for class activities, such as having homework completed and being dressed in swimwear, when required.
o Demonstrating that effort was put forth to complete homework assignments. For example, the subject matter is appropriate and complete and presented in a professional manner.
o Behaving appropriately during activities. For example, during practice-teaching assignments, the behavior remains safe and reasonable to the situation.
o Providing appropriate feedback, as requested, especially to peers after practice-teaching assignments.
o Receiving feedback from the instructor trainer as well as peers in a professional manner.
o Treating others with respect.