Lifeguard Training Course Description
Lifeguard Precourse Test- see exactly what you need to be able to do before signing up!
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass both the Section 1-CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Section 2-Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
Certificates will be emailed within 4 weeks of course completion and will be valid for two years.
The American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual will be provided during class but not issued. A free digital copy of the book will be sent to participants.