Speedy Cat Indoor Triathlon
Speedy Cat Indoor Triathlon is going to follow the 20/20/20 format, meaning that there will be 20 minutes of swimming in our natatorium, 20 minutes of cycling on an indoor bike and 20 minutes of running on a treadmill. It's the perfect race for veteran competitors or the rookies!
When: March 9th, 2019
*There will be 2-3 waves so participants may choose their start time. The choices are 9am and 9:30am. If slots fill, we will open up a 10am wave.
Where: Texas State University Student Recreation Center
Swim as many laps as you can in 20 minutes. Nervous about the swim? Then grab one of the limited spots available for utilizing a 15 yard lane that only goes up to 3 feet 6 inches deep! You can water jog, swim or do a combination of both! If you choose to swim in our deeper, 25 yard pool that ranges from 4ft to 9ft deep you can also choose to walk/jog in shallow areas if you prefer. Hanging on lane lines or use of any flotation device is not allowed. Only full lengths of the pool count, so if time ends while you are in the middle of the lane that distance will not be counted.
We will be using our Keiser indoor cycling bikes for the biking portion. Users may set their own resistance and then cycle as "far" as they can in 20 minutes. Some resistance must be applied to ensure safety. Excessive bouncing in the seat will result in race administrators asking you to increase resistance. Trust us- you can do better with the appropriate amount of resistance anyway! Cycling experts will be there before the race starts to help folks learn how to properly set up their bike for optimal performance and safety.
Run as far as you can in 20 minutes on a treadmill. Users are free to pick their own speed and inclines have to be 0 or higher. Total mileage will be retrieved from the treadmill.
You will have 10 minutes in between the swim and bike (you must change into completely dry clothing), and 5 minutes in between the bike and the run. Arrows and volunteers will direct you to the correct locations.
See the Q&A below.
More info and FAQ:
What's so cool about an indoor triathlon?
- It's a great excuse to train and get into shape!
- It's great introduction to triathlons for novice athletes.
- Experienced athletes can get a head start on their tri season and get a race in before it begins. Get an idea of where you're at pre-season to set your goals for future races!
- Weather there are extreme temperatures, torrential rain, or gale force winds outside it doesn't matter because you're inside in a controlled environment!
- No mass start or murky and choppy water conditions like in a lake or ocean. You get to swim in the calm, clear water of Texas State's indoor pools!
- You don't have to bring your own bike or worry about flats along the way... Just focus on keeping those pedals turning!
- Less crowded race conditions mean no getting stuck in a bottle neck of people in the water or on the road. Every athlete has their own space!
- It's YOU vs. YOU! No worrying about getting left in the dust by other competitors, it's all about pushing yourself and exceeding your limits!
- Goodie bag for every participant
- Name entered into a drawing for various prizes including but not limited to shirts, swim caps, free swim lesson packages, gift cards, AND tickets to Schlitterbahn!
- If registered on or before January 18th- option to attend a free swim clinic on January 19th or February 2nd from 4pm to 5pm (for Speedy Cat Triathletes only!) **CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF REGISTRANTS**
- Awards for top finishers: The overall top 3 males and top 3 females will receive 2 tickets to Schlitterbahn... over a $100 value!
- Swim suit
- Swim cap (optional)
- Clothes for the bike/run (cannot use wet clothing)
- Water bottle
Check in from 8:00am to 9:00am
Bike experts available from 8:30am to 9:45am to help you fit the bike to your body frame.
All racers will be given points based on their distance gone within the allotted time. For example, the person who goes the least number of yards on the swim, will receive 1 point. The person who goes the most number of yards, will receive the highest points, which will be equivalent to the total number of participants.
Swimming: Each lane is either 25 yards or 15 yards in length. Only full lengths are counted when the 20 minute time limit is up. We will count in lengths (one end of pool to the other), not in laps (one end of pool to the other and back). Volunteers will count laps for you so all you have to do is swim! Water jogging in shallow lanes/areas is allowed.
Biking: Our indoor bikes track total distance in the bottom left hand corner of their screens. We will utilize that reading at the end of the 20 minutes.
Running: Total mileage will be retrieved from the treadmill.
No worries! We have lots of options for you!
- Register for our shallow pool and swim or water walk/jog in our leisure pool where you can stand the whole time.
- Sign up for our Adult Swim Program
- Sign up for One on One Lessons (save money if you take them with a friend)
- Participants who register on or before February 1st will have the opportunity to attend one of two free mini swim clinics at the Student Rec Center Natatorium.
- Friday, February 2nd 4-5pm
There is no required stroke. We recommend freestyle as it is the fastest stroke and most commonly used. However, any swim stroke works!
Nope! All participants will be utilizing our indoor Keiser bikes.
At any point and time with any of the three events, you are allowed to stop and rest or slow down. Water jogging/walking is allowed during the swim portion.
If spots are available and you email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Friday March 8th, we will switch you to your preferred time slot.
We would love for you to volunteer! Please contact us at email@example.com or by calling 512-245-8454.
Cost & Registration
|Before February 15th:||2/15 to 3/8||Race Day 3/9 (assuming we are not full)|
|Texas State Student||$20.00||$25.00||$30.00|
|Texas State Affiliates (Faculty/Staff/Alumni)||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|Non-Texas State Affiliates||$30.00||$35.00||$40.00|
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 512-245-8454