Information about being a Texas State Aquatics & Safety Employee
About working with Aquatics & Safety
BEFORE APPLYING please read the below information to help make sure this is a job you would value. All staff are hired as lifeguards; some obtain additional job assignments as swim instructors and/or American Red Cross instructors in CPR, First Aid and Lifeguarding.
Student Maintenance Worker
If hired as a lifeguard or instructor, you will be required to attend the following (exact dates & times given below):
- Skills Testing - All of your lifeguarding skills will be tested every semester; it is 4 hours, unpaid and considered part of the interview/re-interview process. If you need to be re-certified and/or need to be trained in the new American Red Cross materials, a lifeguard re-certification will take the place of skills testing.
- New Guard Orientation - a 5 hour orientation (split into 2 days) to being a lifeguard at Texas State
- If hired as a swim instructor or ARC instructor you will have additional meetings every semester. All swim instructors and ARC instructors work as lifeguards as well.
- In-service trainings will be held once a week. These trainings are MANDATORY. If you cannot make these trainings, we are unable to hire you.
- Work a minimum of 10 hours a week and a maximum of 25 hours a week per University policy. Some exceptions apply to maximum hours for instructors. Over the summer you can work up to 35 hours IF you are not in classes.
- Produce an ORIGINAL (originals only!) one of the following:
- Have and keep a GPA of 2.25 or higher throughout employment
- Be currently certified in order to work a shift. No exceptions. We offer certifications at cheap prices but not for free.
- Be willing to work early morning shifts (starting as early as 5:45am) and perform maintenance/cleaning tasks.
- Be enrolled in 6 hours of classes. If not taking classes over the summer, you must be enrolled in the fall semester.
Who & Where we Lifeguard:
We lifeguard at the SRC Natatorium. During the summer we also lifeguard at Sewell Park and Rio Vista.
- We guard swim lessons, open swim, sport club practices (Swim team, triathlon and water polo) and some academic fitness classes.
- New lifeguards start off at $9.50 an hour during the fall and spring. Pay rate goes up to $10.50 an hour during the summer.
- Texas State lifeguard t-shirt is provided; can only wear provided t-shirts.
- No jewelry may be worn while on duty for safety purposes.
- A whistle will be provided, but any whistle on a breakaway lanyard can be worn.
- A swim suit will not be provided but you are required to wear a suit during any lifeguarding shift. It is preferred that suits are black and athletic in nature, and must be work appropriate. Supervisor approval may be required.
- We have high expectations of our staff. They are not allowed to do anything on stand other than surveillance. Skills are frequently tested and guards will be removed from schedule if their current skill level is not at the desired level.
- We are highly peer lead. You must be willing to accept and respect the leadership from your peers.
- EVERYBODY does maintenance of some kind. If you feel you are above getting your hands dirty; this is not the job for you.
- Majority of semester operates of a permanent schedule in which you will be assigned shifts according to your availability. During the first few weeks of school, finals, and holidays you will sign up for the shifts you can work, however, you will be asked to work a minimum number of hours during those times.
- Lifeguards are responsible for finding their own subs.
Swim Instructor Info:
If hired as a swim instructor:
- You must attend mandatory orientation meetings and in-services (in addition to lifeguard inservices)
- Be willing to teach One on One (private) lessons
- If assigned a group lesson class you must teach all lessons for the benefit of the youth. Group Lessons are Thursday evenings.
Upcoming Interview and Orientation Dates:
The Student Recreation Center is tentatively opening on July 6th. Interview dates and pre-service trainings are likely to occur the week before that. More info will be posted as soon as possible.
We strongly prefer candidates who are currently certified with the American Red Cross. If you are not certified with the American Red Cross you will have to obtain your American Red Cross certification before beginning work. We do offer the course for a reduced fee for staff. However, you are welcome to find a course at another facility to get certified sooner if our availability doesn't suit your needs.
Tuesdays 7pm to 8pm