Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: What are intramural sports?

    A: Intramural Sports are organized recreation leagues & tournaments for all Texas State students, faculty and staff.

  • Q: What sports are offered?

    A: The IM Sports program offers a wide range of sports and programs. We offer different sports each semester of the academic year. Our major leagues include: flag football, volleyball, basketball, softball, indoor soccer, outdoor soccer. We offer a wide range of special tournaments and events too, including dodgeball, sand volleyball, and many, many others!

    Q: How many teams can I play on?

  • A: You can play on one gender specific team and one co-ed team for each sport. For example, you can play on a male flag football team and a co-ed flag football team. But there is no limitation on how many sports you play in a semester and we encourage you to play as many as you would like.

  • Q: How do I register a team?

    A: Teams are registered at the Student Recreation Center in the Intramural Sports office - room 140. 

  • Q: What do participants win?

    A: Each intramural participant on a winning team will win the coveted Championship T-shirt. A new t-shirt is designed each year.

  • Q: What if I don't have a team?

    A: You can sign up to be a free agent through Fusion IM. You can also stop by the Intramural Sports office (SRC - Room 140) for assistance on this. Captains looking to pick up extra players can browse Fusion IM under the free agents section or stop by the intramural office with questions.

  • Q: How many people can I have on my team?

    A: Many sports have different roster limits depending on the players allowed on the court each time. Be sure to check the rules for the sports you are interested in.

  • Q: Where are the games played?

    A: Most outdoor events will take place at the Intramural Sports fields (located at the corner of Aquarena Springs & Charles Austin) or Bobcat Village fields (located adjacent to Bobcat Village Apartments). Any indoor events will take place at the Student Recreation Center (SRC), located at 1011 Academy Street (at the corner of Sessom and Academy).

  • Q: Where can I find when my team plays, where we play and our standings?

    A: You can go to the Fusion IM webpage to view when your team plays, schedules, standings, etc. Make sure you create a free account!

  • Q: How do I find rules for the sports?

    A: Rules for each program can be found on the IM Sports Homepage, under Handbooks and Rules. There is also a link on each Fusion IM sports page.

  • Q: How are playoffs conducted?

    A: Your team must have a minimum of a .500 record and 2.75 sportsmanship rating to make the playoffs. We base our sportsmanship rating on a 4.0 scale. Teams will be emailed when the bracket is released regarding their seed and date/time for playoff matchups.

  • Q: What is the difference between Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs?

    A: Club sports are registered student organizations that are managed by Campus Recreation. Some of these clubs compete on a regional and national level against other universities and colleges; while other clubs operate on a recreational level only. Intramural sports give Texas State students the opportunity to compete with other Texas State students in different leagues including Men's, Women's and Co-Rec.

  • Q: Can I play both club and intramurals?

    A:Yes, you can and we encourage it! However, we do have a restriction on this for sports that compare to a club sport, please view the Intramural Sports Participant Handbook for more detailed information and how many are allowed on your Intramural Sports roster.

  • Q: Can I play intramurals if I'm a varsity athlete?

    A: Yes you can! We have a restriction on this, however. Varsity athletes may not play in their parallel sport while they are on the varsity team (ex. A current Texas State baseball or softball player may not play IM Sports Softball). Also, if a varsity athlete wishes to play in their parallel sport, they must sit out one full academic year starting from the end of their last varsity season. Also, teams are limited to one former varsity athlete per team in the parallel sport.

  • Q: What if I get injured while playing intramural sports?

    A: All of our intramural supervisors are certified in First Aid & CPR/AED. They are first responders in all emergency situations and are trained to handle all situations that may occur in regards to injuries. All participants must also sign a liability waiver before they play.

  • Q: How do I join the staff?

    A: Send an email to or visit our office and inquire within. Prior officiating experience helps, but is not required. An enjoyment of recreation and willingness to learn also helps.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Intramural Sports office at (512) 245-8090 or email -