2022 Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC)
February 4-6, 2022
The Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC) provides regional outdoor program administrators, educators, and students a unique opportunity to network, develop backcountry skills and exchange ideas associated with outdoor leadership, risk management, and environmental stewardship.
About the Conference
The Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC) is a student-focused programming weekend for those who want to connect with others interested in outdoor recreation.
Conference attendees, from inside Texas or a neighboring region, can share and present on ideas and practices within the field of Outdoor Recreation.
Whether you are an experienced member of a solid outdoor program, or have just entered into the field, TOLC will have something for you.
Texas State University Camp is situated on 126-acres along the Blanco River, in Wimberley, Texas.
The Blanco River winds 87 miles through lush green hills and rocky bluffs. The river is suitable for swimming year-round, along with kayaking, snorkeling, and fishing in the pools above and below the falls adjacent to the University Camp property.
1000 University Rd, Wimberley, TX 78676
Google Maps: Directions to University Camp
Universities are encouraged to carpool as much as possible to reduce vehicle traffic and ensure parking for everyone at TOLC
Registration Opens on 11/1/2021
Click the Registration button and you will be directed to the Texas State Campus Recreation portal. If you are a current TXST affiliate, or have created account in the past, login. Otherwise, create an account.
After creating an account, navigate to "Programs", "Spring 2022", "Outdoor Recreation Clinics & Events", and select "Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference". Add this program to your cart, and checkout online via credit card.
If you are registering and paying as a group, cannot pay via credit card, or have questions, contact Andrew Morreale at email@example.com.
Student Professional Registration Deadline Early Bird $35 $55 11/01/2021 - 1/01/2022 Regular $40 $60 1/02/2022 - 1/15/2022 Late $45 $65 1/16/2022 - 2/04/2022
Camping & full park access Friday-Sunday
Campsites are available as a lodging option included in your registration. To explore the campsites and lodges, visit the UCAMP Website. In addition to traditional campsites, the Day Use Area and other green spaces will be available for TOLC camping
- **T-Shirt availability and size is not guaranteed for those who register after January 15th.
- Climbing Center access
- Campfire Social
- TOADs breakfast meeting (Professional Staff Only)
- Educational sessions
- Adventure race
- Film showing
Dinner Friday, Breakfast Saturday, Dinner Saturday , Breakfast Sunday
Food for Dutch Oven cook-off (you should bring one entree or dessert, enough to feed your group and some extra, it will be served pot-luck style)
Pre-Conference Activities (Friday, February 4th)
Indoor Rock Climbing at the Texas State Climbing Center (4pm-9pm)
- Bring your equipment, or use the available rental equipment, and experience climbing on Texas State's 52-foot tall climbing towers! Note: Tube-style belay devices only are permitted
- Parking is not included. Be sure to a parking pass at the parking garage, or risk a parking ticket.
- Speck Garage: 1252-1298 Academy St, San Marcos, TX 78666
Campfire Social at University Camp
- Bring instruments, games, fun stories, and smiles!
- Yard games and activities will be provided.
Great ways to start or end your TOLC experience
Bring or rent boats and float the San Marcos River!
Sewell Park to Rio Vista (2-hours round trip is a great, casual paddle!)
Canoes, Kayaks, and Standup Paddleboards available at the Sewell Park Outdoor Center
Hike University Camp, with over 4-miles of trails
Find all the hidden Bigfoot tiles, or try the geocaching course throughout camp!
Visit a local eatery in Wimberley, Texas - only a few minutes away from University Camp!
Bring a fishing rod, and test your luck on the Blanco River!
All event times are TBD
- Pre-Conference Activities (see previous section)
- Campfire social and music
- Yoga or Trail Run
- TOADs Breakfast Meeting
- Conference Welcome and Keynote Speaker
- Presentations and Workshops
- Lunch Social & T-Shirt Swap
- Presentations and Workshops
- Adventure Race
- Dutch Oven Cook-Off Event
- Film showings
- Sunrise Yoga
- Morning trash clean up
- Farewells and Departure
TOLC is centered around sharing and gaining knowledge and experiences with others through student and professional presentations. If you have a special skill to share, a unique programming idea, or an opinion to share, please propose a presentation. Presentations will consist of a combination of skill based workshops and traditional informational sessions.
Here are reasons you should present at TOLC:
- Public speaking is vital to your professional development and this is a great place to practice those skills
- You get to represent your university
- For 30-60 minutes…you will be the center of attention
- You can grow the minds of impressable peers that want to learn
- Your boss will get to report that you are presenting and that makes you and your program look good
- You could make someone better…..including yourself
- You can put it on your resume
Click the above button to submit your presentation proposal
Deadline for proposals: 1/28/2022
The Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference provides regional outdoor program administrators, educators, and students a unique opportunity to network, develop backcountry skills and exchange ideas associated with outdoor leadership, risk management, and environmental stewardship.
TOLC also aims to eliminate barriers to individuals who wish to participate in the conference. TOLC is offering student scholarships to cover an individual’s full cost of the conference.
- Scholarship recipients are responsible for travel to and from the conference
- Scholarship funds are not transferable to another person
- Application materials received after January 12th will not be considered
- Please be sure to reference your name on all submitted materials
- Students who are not selected will still receive early bird pricing, even after January 1st
Deadline for submissions: 12/31/2021
Got a bunch of old staff shirts tucked away in your office? A bunch of promotional shirts that no one picked up at a tabling event? Do you already have 10 staff shirts and you don’t wear them all anymore? Well bring them to TOLC 2022!
Schools are encouraged to bring t-shirts that represents your school and/or outdoor program. At TOLC 2022 we will be hosting a t-shirt swap so we can support each other’s universities and programs!
- Full refunds will be available until January 7th.
- Refunds with a 50% fee will be available from January 8th - January 31st at 5:00 p.m.
- No Refunds after January 31st at 5:00 p.m.
- Dutch Ovens
- Food for Dutch Oven Cook-Off
- T-shirts for the T-shirt Swap
- Clothing to be outside all day
- Tents and sleeping gear
- Headlamp & Batteries
- Dutch Ovens
On Saturday evening show off your Dutch oven cooking skills and enjoy the culinary creations of other universities!
Choose a creative or challenging recipe, and wow the judges! Each team provides their own ingredients, coals, fire pan, and all other supplies.
Your finished meal is your ticket to the potluck Dutch oven dinner party on Saturday Night!
Coals/Fires cannot be lit until 4pm on the day of the competition, and dishes must be submitted by 7pm to qualify for judging.
Groups are encouraged to bring multiple Dutch-ovens and prepare food that is just to share for everyone! (These dishes can be started prior to 4pm).
The entire group potluck will begin promptly at 7:15pm to allow 15 minutes for judges to taste each competition dish.
Awards will be presented to the school with the best:
Entrée (main course)