Sewell Park is one of the most inviting and relaxing spaces on the Texas State University Campus. The spring fed crystal clear San Marcos River runs through the park and remains 72-degrees year round. You can relax outdoors while taking advantage of two sand volleyball courts, open spaces for Frisbee, an outdoor basketball court, picnic tables great for relaxing and eating lunch or dinner. The park also offers ample open space for sunbathing, and picnicking. You'll also find the Outdoor Center here, nestled under the trees.
Conditions of the San Marcos River are constantly changing, and hazards may be present (river depth, rocks, wildlife, etc). Entering the river is at your own risk, and no lifeguards are present.
Reservation Information (Currently Unavailable)
The Amplified Sound Request Form must be submitted to Student Involvement @ LBJSC at least 10 days prior to the event date.
Sound equipment is not available or provided by the Outdoor Center.
Animals are not permitted on campus without prior approval.
Cancellations made within 48 hours are eligible to be rescheduled at no additional cost.
Refunds are not available, even due to inclement weather at the time of the event.
UPD officers can be requested to provide security. The rate for each officer is $40.00 per hour with a four-hour minimum.
If a group is catering food, one of the following forms of documentation must be provided:
- City of San Marcos Environmental Health Permit
- Business License
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
Please visit the Department of Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management for all rules and policies regarding food safety for on-campus events.
Groups hosting an event to raise money for a registered 501(c)(3) charity and/or philanthropic organization may receive a discount on the hourly rate for an event reservation.
In the reservation request, provide fundraising intention and documentation of registered organization.
Only open flame devices are permitted in Sewell Park. These include:
- Propane Grill
- Catering Grill/Smoker
- Sterno Candle (Food)
- Conventional Candle(s)
If any of these devices are used, an Open Flame Permit must be submitted to the Department of Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management.
Open Flame Permit: https://www.fss.txstate.edu/ehsrm/programs/firesafety.html
- Each Open Flame Permit will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis as the event is being reviewed for approval.
- Only the open flame devices listed above will be considered and approved by EHSRM. Charcoal grills are prohibited.
- The approved Open Flame Permit must be posted on-site throughout the duration of the event.
- If the event involves cooking, all adjacent areas to which sparks or heat might spread must be inspected at least 30 minutes after the event is over.
- If my event involves serving food to members of the public or is open to the campus community, I must also obtain a Temporary Food Establishment Permit through EHSRM.
- A fire extinguisher must remain on-site throughout the duration of the event.
- Fire extinguishers may be requested at no additional cost on the Reservation Request Form. If the fire extinguisher is used or damaged in any way, the group will be responsible for the cost of replacement.
Reoccurring Sewell Park events that are open to the public may receive a discount on the hourly rate for an event reservation when booked together. Provide all intended dates in the reservation request for consideration.
- Game Nights
- Social Mixers
- Music/Performance Events
If your event requires tables or chairs, a request can be made with Materials Management (for a separate, additional fee).
Large trash bins can be made available for the use of an event, at no additional cost by the Outdoor Center.
Event organizers are responsible for removing all trash from Sewell Park when the event is completed.
Non-Student Org / Non-Academic Class Reservation Rates
Hourly rate for events open to the Texas State community, require amplified sound, event security, or food permitting.
|Area||Number of People||Student Rate||University Rate||Non-Affiliate Rate|
|Pavilion||up to 50||$20||$25||$40|
Sewell Park West
|up to 50||$20||$25||$40|
*Sand Volleyball Courts (per court)
Lifeguards (per staffperson)
*Volleyballs and Basketballs included in rental, and are available upon request.
Student Org & Academic Class Reservations
If you are reserving space for a Student Organization meeting, or an Academic class, email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a space in Sewell Park at no cost. Read the below FAQ to determine if your event/organization qualifies.
- If you are a current TXST student who plans on hosting a meeting or event, exclusively for members of your student organization.
- If you are current TXST Faculty and intend to utilize Sewell Park for a class, academic assignment, or project, exclusively for members of your academic class.
If your event is open to the public, is accepting payment to participate, requires amplified sound, event security, or food permitting, your event does not qualify but can still be held at Sewell Park by submitting the Sewell Park Event Reservation Request Form.
Easy! If your group wishes to hold reoccurring meetings or gatherings at Sewell Park, simply note these dates in your email.
Email email@example.com or call the Outdoor Center (512-245-2004) with notice of cancellation. Repeated cancellations may result in restrictions on future reservations.
Yes. However, an additional staffing fee will be included in your reservation.